Flat roof rot is a serious roof condition that every property owner would want to avoid. Apart from being costly to fix, it can also lead to leaks. In severe cases, the roof could collapse. It’s caused by a wood-eating fungus, which makes the roof’s components dry and crumbly. Over time, rot may compromise the roof decking. Since it spreads rapidly, a homeowner must prioritize repairing this type of roof damage.
Professional roofing company State Roofing discusses the causes of flat roof rot and provides tips on how to prevent it.
Why Is Your Flat Roof Rotting?
Roof rot happens because of excess moisture. It can be caused by many things, one of which is a poorly ventilated attic. A roof that lacks a good ventilation system causes high humidity, thus exposing its wooden components to moisture. Note that it only takes 20% moisture for wood to develop rot.
The following are also the main culprits behind flat roof rot:
- Poor drainage system due to clogged gutters, scuppers and downspouts
- Ponding problems due to sloping issues
- Damaged roof membrane or shingles
How Can You Prevent Flat Roof Rot?
Fortunately, there are many ways for property owners to protect their roofs from rotting. As a leading roofing contractor in the area, here’s what we recommend you should do to ensure the health and safety of your flat roof:
- Schedule a professional roof inspection. Do this at least twice a year or after a severe storm. Your chosen contractor will examine your roof and identify potential problems to reduce the likelihood of rot.
- Repair damaged roof membrane or shingles. Consider replacing damaged caulking around the chimneys and vents to prevent moisture damage.
- Install a good roof ventilation system. Make sure your flat roof has enough vents to allow air circulation. This makes sure that your attic remains at a moderate temperature throughout the year to prevent moisture buildup.
- Remove roof debris immediately. Branches, leaves and other debris may get stuck in your gutters and prevent water from draining away from your property.
For your roofing needs, turn to State Roofing. Our expert roofers are here to ensure your commercial roofing system is in top condition. Call us today at (360) 794-7164 or fill out our contact form for a free estimate. We proudly serve homeowners in Tacoma, Kirkland and surrounding Washington areas.